from milliner to the greatest in party clothes
89 years Maison van den Hoogen
89 years Maison van den Hoogen
Johanna Frederika Diederika van den Hoogen-Kramer born 21-09-1904 was a milliner ( hatmaker). Opened a hatter’s shop on 31-03-1928 in the Daniel Stalpertstraat. On 31-10-1928 on her wedding day, she registered herself as Amsterdam’s first woman as a public sales woman, at the chamber of commerce in Amsterdam.
Here she started with the rental of bridal veils, they were at that time very valuable. In 1936 she moved the shop to the other side of Sarphatipark no. 88 and she had 3 floors to her disposal. Which meant to expand her activities, and also to rent the bridal gowns. During this period became the name of the shop Maison van den Hoogen/ het Bride’s house.
At the end of the thirties, the threat of the war was felt. Many men have been called for mobilization. Because married woman received a widow’s pension if their husband did not return after the war, many married in those years. Men’s suit and children’s suit were also included. That was a smart step, because she had a lot of work.
During the war Maison van den Hoogen continued to rent. During and after the war everything was scarce and material was a major shortcoming. … Van den Hoogen could with difficulty find new substances. It certainly lasted until the fifties, before new material came in and she could make new dresses and suits. In those years weddings were traditional, with many bridesmaids and groomsmen. Everyone was festively dressed, with hats and all kinds of accessories. For all this people would visit the Amsterdam Sarphatipark.
After the war there was a great need for amusement. After the five dramatic and heavy years of war, people wanted entertainment and distraction. Because there was no television yet, people were looking for pleasure somewhere else. This explains the rise of many theaters and operetta associations. whether people on the stage and the people in the hall wanted to be dressed in a festive way. … Van den Hoogen made the clothes and she kept it in stock, so she could rent it. That’s how her stock of operette clothing was created.
When television started in 1960, other clothes were needed. Orkestas, television series and all sorts of different programs called Maison van den Hoogen to make costumes. she made everything on request and her stock grew.
The company grow so much, that she needed more space. That’s why she bought the adjacent building in 1960 at number 90.
Over the years, the clothing collection kept changing. In the sixties and seventies were many parties organised in the de style of the fifties, so that the company always responded to the need for special clothing.
The daughter of Johanna van den Hoogen, Olga van den Hoogen, had been involved in her mother’s business from a young age. She also worked as a coupeuse in the company. In 1967 she opened her own bridal boutique Angela at Sarphatipark no. 104. This was a bridal fashion store, specifically in the sale and a beautiful addition to existing activities. When Johanna van den Hoogen retired in 1979, Olga took over her mother’s store. She could’t close her successful bridal shop, it was evidently too much for her. the man of Marjo (Olga’s oldest daughter), Hans Suselbeek, was coincidentally looking for a new challenge. He took over the festive clothing store and runs Maison Van den Hoogen until today.
Maison Van den Hoogen grew in 89 years from a hatter’s shop into the biggest party clothing of Amsterdam.future? (open new window)